After floating around in free agency, ‘top contender’ Adam Proctor (9-1) has signed with Cage Warriors, DreySports can reveal.
Cage Warriors confirmed the news on Thursday afternoon, revealing Proctor had signed on a multi-fight deal.
Over the past year, SBG South Shields athlete Proctor has flitted between promotions, fighting under four different banners since February 2017.
He clinched significant wins over ranked welterweights, Nathan Jones and Ashley Reece in his last two fights, but remained without a permanent home.
With the recent exodus of welterweights from Cage Warriors, including former champion Karl Amoussou, and UFC newcomers, Craig White and Carlo Pedersoli Jr, the signing of “The Love Doctor” seemed a no brainer for the CW team.
“We’re always looking to add the highest-level talent in Europe to our roster, and Adam Proctor is a name we’re particularly excited about welcoming to Cage Warriors,” says President Graham Boylan. “There’s a lot of noise being made about Proctor in 2018 already, and we expect that to get even louder as he develops with us.”
Proctor fought on Cage Warriors back in October 2016, but was submitted in his debut by Aaron Khalid. In hindsight, the pressure may have gotten the best of him, especially with head coach, former CW champion Alex Enlund, battling a career-threatening illness at the time.
Cage Warriors matchmaker, Ian Dean, has hailed Proctor as ‘one of the most promising prospects in the UK right now’, and credits the North East fighter for re-building from his only career defeat.
“It’s a cliche but I’m sure he learned a lot from that loss, even then he looked impressive early on in that fight but credit to Khalid for taking his opportunity and getting the win,” says Ian Dean. “But since then he took a step back, rebuilt and has impressed since with four good wins. He has a great mentor behind him and I think he’s only going to get better.”
Having dominated the UK welterweight scene since his only loss, Dean agrees that Proctor enters the promotion as a ‘top contender’ for the vacant title picture.
“Right now we have to sit down with Adam and his team and find out when and where he wants to fight,” Dean continued. “However we have seven or eight fights at 170lbs booked for the next two events so we will have to see how those pan out too. But I think Adam is a legitimate threat to anyone in that division in and around the European scene and he will re-enter Cage Warriors as a top contender.
Head coach, Enlund is excited for this next step-up in Proctor’s career also, with Cage Warriors gold now their utmost priority.
“We chose Cage Warriors over other promotions as there is the opportunity to face the best Welterweight fighters in Europe,” said Enlund. “The exposure that comes with Cage Warriors fights being shown on BT Sports and UFC Fight Pass will help us increase Adams profile on an international level.
“I’m looking forward to seeing him take on the challenges presented by the Cage Warriors Welterweight division. It’s only a matter of time before he’s Cage Warriors World Champion.”
Cage Warriors are expected to announce Proctor’s first bout later this month.
Adam Proctor Image: SBG South Shields